March 23, 2023

MY NEW VIDEO: DL Serios - “Smile Sara, Smile”

MY NEW VIDEO
DL Serios
“Smile Sara, Smile”
__________

Dig the skinny
on my phat new
music video...
__________

Under my secret agent alias, DL Serios, I formed the band DEAD SERIOS way back in 1985. I fronted the outrageous, award-winning punk / metal combo for the next 35 years. In 2020, I launched my snappy solo project and began "rebuilding" — writing new songs with my (now) longtime musical partner, guitarist, Chuck Lazaras, and playing live shows in tiny dumps throughout the "Sunshine State." Last fall, I released my debut album, PECKER, along with the lead-off video single, "Feeling Freakie" (See it here). This week, the second PECKER video single, "Smile Sara, Smile" arrived over on YouTube (See it here).

Me and Chuck doing what we do!
(Photo: Lenin Rodriguez)

“Smile Sara, Smile" is a happy little song about a sad little girl. It reflects my two primary musical influences; Motörhead and Debbie Gibson. Sara is (or maybe was) a real-life person. She was a barista at my neighborhood coffee joint a few years ago when I lived in Satellite Beach, Florida. I always was the first guy through the door every morning, so we kinda got to know each other. Sara was a sweet 19-year-old kid. But I knew she was hiding something dark behind her sunshine smile. A little while after moving from the beach, I was heartbroken to discover Sara’s mug shot in the local paper — the tragic result of making bad decisions while hanging out with bad people. I still don’t know how it all played out, or where she is now.

  
Master makeup artist Misti Blu Day transformed
actress Laura Cummins for her lead role as Sara
in the "Smile Sara, Smile" video.

Sara meant so much to me that I wrote a song for her — a creative collaboration between me, Chuck, former Pat Travers Band drummer, Tommy Craig, and bassist, Darrell Fleming. Despite its happy-sounding exterior and playful lyrics, the underlying message suggests something completely different. My ex-wife has reminded me ad nauseam that "Smile Sara, Smile" is the "stupidest" song I've ever written. I maintain that it's the most important song I've ever written. People matter to me. Sara mattered to me.

Actress Christina Weaver as the 
contagious "Coffee Lounge Cutie."

"Smile Sara, Smile" was shot by
videographer, Brendon Keith Paredes.

"Smile Sara, Smile" is the second video I've written and directed. It was shot at the fabulous Arts for All Studio in Melbourne, Florida. It features several return cast members from the "Feeling Freakie" video, as well as a bunch of fun, fresh-faced and very talented newcomers who I dubbed, "The Terror Teens."


The "Terror Teens" were total troopers!

To celebrate the recent video release, the folks at Arts for All Studio hosted an awesome "Big-Screen Premier Event" on March 18th. From the band to the cast to family and friends, it seemed like EVERYONE was there. The gala opened with a lively Q&A between Arts for All co-owner, Sarah Karp and myself. We then debuted the video on the in-house big screen, followed by a live set from the DL Serios band.  We even served up popcorn and soda AND milk and cookies! Now THAT'S punk rock!

See the full "Big-Screen Premier" photo gallery HERE.
__________

WATCH THE VIDEOS
 
HEAR THE RECORD

"FOLLOW"

MEDIA INQUIRIES
 
__________



- GARAGE SALE VINYL -
(2024)
__________

- A SHOT OF POISON -
"10th Anniversary Edition"
(2020)
__________

- SUPERSTAR -
(2019)
__________

- SHOUT IT OUT LOUD -
(2014)
__________

- C'MON! -
(2012)