Saturday, April 15, 2017

THE FANTASTIC PLASTICS: New Wave Messiahs Teleport to 2017 Vans Warped Tour

THE FANTASTIC
PLASTICS
New Wave Messiahs Teleport
to 2017 Vans Warped Tour
________________________

I'm a simple guy. I like playing
obsolete video games. I also
enjoy watching TV. And when
it comes to pop music, I only
listen to duos from the future
that create authentic, electro-
style New Wave from the past.
________________________

Over the last 20+ years, many of my greatest musical discoveries have first popped onto my personal radar via the Vans Warped Tour. During the '90s, the annual traveling summer festival introduced me to such exciting bands as 311, Blink-182 and Less Than Jake. In recent years, I've stumbled across several super-squads, including Palaye Royale, Koo Koo Kanga Roo and Jule Vera. all while bouncing about between the various Warped Tour stages. This year, as a result of extensive, pre-tour research, I've spotted another treasure — weeks before twisting through the turnstile.

Sparkling like a genuine diamond placed among the counterfeit gemstones crammed into today's pop culture showcase, electro-retro darlings, The Fantastic Plastics is the first authentic synth siren to seduce me since the original New Wave glory daze of yore. In fact, Miranda Plastic and fellow Fantastic time traveler, Tyson Plastic ooze such an irresistibly engaging vibe and create music so uniquely fresh and exciting, I cited them recently as one of the "12 coolest, must-see" acts on this summer's Vans Warped Tour.

The Fantastic Plastics - "Troublemaker"
(Watch it NOW!)

Their back story  seemingly straightforward. After forming in Chicago back in 2009, the soon-to-be sensation relocated to Brooklyn in 2012. Along with the studio assistance of Dylan Plastic, the duo produced and dropped the groundbreaking debut EP Outsiders in 2014. Featuring such fan favorites as "Obsolete," "It's All Plastic," "Troublemaker" and "Assimilate," their acclaimed full-length follow-up, Devolver arrived in 2015. Released in 2016, their latest record, Invasion, is as appealing as pulling a Nintendo all-nighter. And we all know how appealing that is!

Okay, in the spirit of full disclosure, I will confess to being addicted completely to the Fantastic Plastics' infectious grooves, hypnotic melodies and snappy fashion sensibility — a grip that's almost as crippling as my addiction to Skittles and Red Bull. But I'm totally in control here. I'm still able to function. Well, at least I can still accomplish my homework and my workwork. And chances are, that might be me, pressed against the security barricade, sobbing hysterically, Beatlemania-style during their set when the Warped Tour stops in Denver on June 25th. 

-Christopher Long
(April 2017)

The latest from author Christopher Long
is available NOW on Amazon.

Also from Christopher Long...
Get it on Amazon.

Currently in development...

No comments:

Post a Comment