Tuesday, May 31, 2016

RECORD OF THE YEAR (2000-2016)

RECORD OF
THE YEAR
(2000-2016)
_____________________________

As a super-old dude, I'm a
proven survivor. Over the
last 50+ years I've survived
folk rock, acid rock, punk
rock, emo, screamo, dopey
dance trends, hair band high
jinx, a sea of Seattle sewage,
and troughs' worth of hip
hop slop. Hence, I'm uniquely
qualified to sniff out the
good stuffparticularly the
truly great records that
have dropped so far during
the new millennium.
_____________________________

Whether you download music from iTunes, shuffle archaic CDs, or spin vintage LPs, the term "record" merely implies a collection of recorded songs — regardless of the format. And the following list reflects my personal "Record of the Year" choices for each year so far during the 2000s. You may notice that my personal taste leans toward guitar-driven, crunchy pop / rock, with Buick-sized hooks  created by humans who play actual instruments and sing with their very own human voices. See what'cha think...

2000
Samantha 7

Proving he's (always been)
Poison's true musical MVP,
C.C. DeVille delivered 2000's
"Record of the Year" with the
debut from his short-lived side
project — a blistering record
packed with concise and
crunchy pop / rock songs.
His best work to date!

Listen to "I Wanna Be Famous"
____________________

2001
Conversations

The debut studio effort from the
millennium's most prolific singer /
songwriter would prove to be the
record that ultimately saved my
life a decade following its release.

Listen to "The Word"
____________________ 

2002
Left of Self-Centered

With his debut solo record, the
one-time hair metal heartthrob
rose from the ashes of his last
band project to establish himself
as a modern-day pop messiah.

Listen to "My Way"
____________________

2003
Rooney

From the opening of "Blueside,"
this So-Cal combo hooked me
with their Brian Wilson-like
songwriting at a time when I'd
all but given up on current pop
music. Other highlights include
"Stay Away" and "I'm Shakin'."

Listen to "I'm Shakin'"
____________________

2004
Where You Want to Be

A crazy girl turned me on to this
record in '08. Check it out for
yourself. If "Set the Phasers to
the Sun" and "New American
Classic" can't convince you that
it's one of the best rock records
ever, you might wanna have
your pulse checked.

Listen to
"Set Phasers to the Sun"
____________________

2005
Greetings from
Imrie House

Not since The Knack hit in 1979
had I crunched on such a tasty
treat. Featuring the hooky hits
"Just the Girl" and "Catch Your
Wave," this treasure landed in
the Top 20. Co-written by KISS
frontman,Paul Stanley, "Angel
to You (Devil to Me)" is another
of the record's many highlights.

Listen to "Just the Girl"
____________________

2006
Foiled

Simply put, Justin Furstenfeld
is a total genius. These songs
are so unique — so brilliantly
beautiful that it still hurts my
soul to listen to the record —
nearly a decade following its
release. The perfect testament
to the power of music. Bravo!

Listen to "Into the Ocean"
____________________

2007
Because of the Times

The last great KOL record before
Caleb Followill began enunciating
and subsequently being discovered
and embraced by Nickelback fans.

Listen to "Fans"
____________________

2008
Sycamore Meadows

With his fourth solo effort, singer
songwriter / producer / author,
Butch Walker, created a modern-
day equivalent of Born to Run.
The crown jewel of his impressive
career-spanning catalog.

Watch "The Weight of Her"
____________________

2009
For(n)ever

These lil' stankers first hooked me
with "The Reason" in 2004. Then, 
this record hit in 2009. To this day,
still wet myself every time I hear
it. "I Don't Think I Love You," "So
Close, So Far," "All About You,"
"The Letter," "Tears of Yesterday," 
"You're the One" — Fornever sure 
makes me happy not to be dead.

Listen to "Tears of Yesterday"
____________________

2010
Wake Me

Snappy and happy.
Catchy and crunchy.
THE greatest
record EVER!
____________________

2011
Invisible Empires

Groves' most "relaxed" record to date,
however, easily the best of 2011.

Listen to "Eyes on the Prize"
____________________

2012
This is Love

Read my official review HERE.

Watch "This is Love"
____________________

 2013
Volume 3

Read my official review HERE.

Watch "Clould've Been Your Girl"
____________________

 2014
All the Ways You
Let Me Down

Read my official review HERE.

Watch "I Miss You"
____________________

 2015
Friendly Enemies

Read my official review HERE.

Watch "Light the Night"
____________________

 2016
Everybody Wants

Read my official review HERE.

Watch "Put Your Money on Me"
____________________

I hope that you've had fun with this feature. I sure had fun putting it together. I also hope that you may have discovered some great new music. And of course, feel free to share your personal choices and comments.

-Christopher Long
(May 2016)


The latest from author Christopher Long
is available NOW on Amazon.

Also from Christopher Long...
Get it on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment