Saturday, March 8, 2014

TOP TEN MOST HEINOUS SONGS THAT NEVER SHOULD BE PLAYED AGAIN! (Guest Post)

TOP TEN MOST
HEINOUS SONGS
THAT NEVER SHOULD
BE PLAYED AGAIN!
________________________

Well, alrighty!
Michelle Wilson certainly
pulls no punches with
her latest "Guest Post."
Although I personally
got a kick out of it, I
expect that she'll be
tipping more than a few
sacred cows. Enjoy!
________________________


10
LYNYRD SKYNYRD
(1973)

It's bad enough that this track is
nine hours long, but then throw
in the drunken requests for it
at every bar and concert.
Newsflash: when a musician
is on stage, he or she is NOT
amused when you yell out
"Free Bird!" You're not funny;
you're just drunk and stupid.


9
PETER FRAMPTON
(1976)

The most overexposed
Frampton song. Yes, 
it is a great tune, but
overplayed ad nauseam.


8
CREEDENCE
CLEARWATER
REVIVAL
(1969)

With so many stellar CCR
songs from which to choose,
such as "Have You Ever
Seen the Rain?" and "Fortunate
Son," why in the world does
this one get constant airplay?


7
ERIC CLAPTON
(1992)

Why, oh, why? The original
version, which featured the
incomparable slide guitar of
Duane Allman, is arguably one
of the greatest pieces of rock
music ever recorded. Remember
the old adage, "If it ain't broke,
don't fix it?" I think that Clapton
missed the memo on that one.


6
PETER FRAMPTON
(1976)

See entry #9.


5
VAN MORRISON
(1967)

Thank you, weddings and
local cover bands, for
killing this one dead.
I'm sure Mr. Morrison
appreciates it though. 


4
LYNYRD SKYNYRD
(1974)

As if this wasn't already
beaten to death, we had to
endure a resurgence of it
in Kid Rock's Skynrd-
inspired "All Summer Long."


3
GEORGE THOROGOOD
(1982)

Horrendous voice, horrendous
lyrics. The only thing worse
is Thorogood's bludgeoning  
of the Rudy Toombs-penned
"One Bourbon, One Scotch,
One Beer." The alcoholic
national anthem runner up.


2
JIMMY BUFFETT
(1977)

This horrible alcoholic national
anthem has inspired and fueled
the careers of Kenny Chesney
and The Zac Brown Band.
Shame on you, Jimmy.



1
ERIC CLAPTON
(1977)

Finally, rounding out my list,
is Mr. Clapton's abomination
and the song that I most detest
in this world. But people love it.
They go nuts for it. They even
request it at weddings. Really?
Aural poison.

There you go. I'm sure that everyone has his / her own personal picks, so feel free to post your feedback and / or rants in the "Comments" section below.

-Michelle Wilson
(March 2014)

_____________________________________

BE MY "GUEST"
Do you have something to say, something to get off your chest or an amazing story to share? From pop culture views and reviews to political commentary to messages of faith, my blog is a great platform for writers to showcase their work. There are very limited criteria for submitting a post. Your views don't even have to be in line with mine — just create and contribute a compelling, well-written story. Interested? Send me and email.

-Chris
AuthorChristopherLong@yahoo.com
______________________________________

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! I couldn't be more offended. (Giggle, giggle). What's so amazing about this column is, well here's my story...

    As a born rocker, turned onto classic rock and roll around the age of eight, I have listened to my share of music over the years and my android playlist consists of over 3000 tunes from every genre you can think of. I love music and have my favorites. I began listening to the radio station 100.1 FM WKQQ in Lexington, Kentucky from the day it originally signed on in 1974. One of my best friends is the program manager and disc jockey, "Dead-Air" Dennis Dillon. When I became a Father in December 1996, my wife had one desire and that was Moons Over My Hammy from the nearest Denny's. As I made my way to my care to go pick up this treat for my wife, I decided that I was going to give my kids a "Rock n Roll Nickname" and that nickname was going to be either the song title or something from the song that was currently playing on WKQQ when I switched on the ignition the day they were born.

    As I climbed into my vehichle, I cranked the ignition to the sounds of Eric Clapton;s "Layla" so, Cassie became Layla. In 1999 when my my oldest son was born, as I again left to get Moons & Hammy, George Thorogood and the Destroyers, "Bad to the Bone" and Jonah became "Bad Bones." within 20 months, my radio greeted me with another classic for my second son, Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Freebird."

    How ironic that the 10 Worst songs you pick are my kids' rock n roll nicknames. Fast forward to March 2003, my wife ave birth to twins so I had a dilemna, I was in Grundy, Virginia (no internet streaming at the time) and I had two names to give. This is how I first met Dennis. I called him on the phone and told him the story, which he loved and we immediatly became fast friends. He told me that he was currently playing "Sweet Child O Mine" by Guns N Roses and asked me how far apart were they born, I told him "18 minutes," so he said that in 18 minutes he would be playing Aerosmith's "Angel." That did it, I was so pleased. As my final child, Micah arrived in January of 2005, I assumed that finally, I was going to turn it on to a commercial but, nope, not Double Q. That day, I cranked the ignition to here Bad Company by Bad Comepany and Micah became Bad Co. Hope you get a kick from my story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, Kimothy! That's awesome! Thanks for sharing that story. What a fun and cool way to nickname your kids. They will be able to share that with their own kids some day.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete