Saturday, January 25, 2014

TOP 10 GREATEST SONGS OF THE '90s

TOP 10 GREATEST
SONGS OF THE '90s
______________________  

The '90s sucked —
plain and simple.
However, even a
dismal decade can
produce a few
golden nuggets. 
And these were the
best of the bunch.
______________________

Relax, kids  I know. Dimebag revolutionized rock guitar and Soundgarden was totally killer, dude. But this list is not intended to reflect the coolest bands, the tastiest riffs or even timeless albums. It's simply about celebrating great songs from a crappy decade.

 10
1994

A beautifully splendid
three-minute train wreck.


9
1999

This perky little gal combined
Olsen-like sizzle with all of the
perceived nuttiness of most of
my ex-girlfriends. This tune
is one of her best.


8
1998

I love the part in the video where
Ed Robertson slides across the 
hood of the Starsky mobile. 
Like Sting, I'm feeling tantric, too.


7
1996

This crunchy earworm proves that
"borrowing" from Cheap Trick can
make any band (temporarily) cool.


6
When it Rains"
1995
(That is all.)


5
1995

When this one hit, it was like a breath 
of fresh air. Rock and roll was back!


4
1995 

This band, particularly this song,
was THE beacon of glorious
light during a very dark era.


3
1998

The other lil' ol' band from Texas
packed punch and hooks galore.
This song reeled me in from the
first chorus. And Tony Scalzo
seems REALLY cool.


2
"Creep"
1993

The first time I heard this song, I thought
Brian Wilson had joined a grunge band.
20+ years later, it's still a magical treat.


1
1996

'60s soft pop collides with '90s alterno
at an old fashioned love-in. Undeniably
THE definitive song of the '90s. 
______________________ 

Wow, these truly were, and still are, amazing, timeless songs. But be sure that stringing together a handful of gems does NOT a great era make. Remember, the '90s was also the decade that wrought Tool, NSYNC and Wu-Tang Clan. But when the cream of the crop is chronicled in a concise capsule, even I can (briefly) reflect fondly on the otherwise dreadful era.

-Christopher Long
(January 2014)


The latest from author Christopher Long
is available NOW on Amazon.

Also from Christopher Long...
Get it on Amazon.

10 comments:

  1. Here's a post topic: Which was worse? Disco or the 90's. (I'm not going to do that one. lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True confession time, Bill. I loved the disco era! In fact, I think I will do a "Top 10 Disco Hits" post. Thanks for the inspiration, brother -- great hearing from you!

      -Chris

      Delete
  2. Frankly, I don't know anything about you Christopher but I would love a concise explanation on how you think the 90's were such a terrible decade. What decade are you comparing to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey hey now, watch it I LOVE DISCO omg that was MUSIC baby. HI5

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anonymous -- thanks for stopping by, reading my work and taking the time to join in on the conversation.

    Yes, from cancer to Clinton to Cobain, the '90s were personally and globally a dreadful time indeed. But most importantly, it was during the '90s when "Full House" was cancelled. Need I say more?

    I value the opportunity to connect with people and to make new friends via my various writing endeavors and I encourage you to keep in touch and to feel free to reach out and chime in any time.

    Best regards,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite by far is "The Way" By Fastball. A very moving and profound song based on a true story of an elderly couple disappearing off into the sunset. It was fuel for thought and expressed so well. My second favorite is No Doubt's "Im just a girl" Amazing lady that Gwen Steffani. Such a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite by far is "THE WAY" by Fastball. A very profound song based on a true story of an elderly couple disappearing while out on a drive. The song was both fuel for thought and inspirational, and Tony Scalzo has a great voice. My second pick would have been No Doubt "I'm just a Girl. Glen Steffani is an amazing vocalist, song writer who gives mwe much joy as I listen to her song's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, BettyMarie -- Fastball is one of rock's all-time great bands, and "The Way" certainly is one of their best songs. And yes, I too am a big Tony Scalzo fan. Thanks for sharing.

      -Chris

      Delete
  7. An excellent list. As a Scalzo friend and a die hard Fastball fan, I'll admit to being biased, but I too would have put "The Way" at #1. I'll have to check out your book--it sounds like a good read. ---John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John -- you've conveyed great wisdom and good taste. I also heaped heartfelt praise upon Fastball in this 2012 post:
      http://christopherlongshowbizguru.blogspot.com/2012/04/back-to-90s-pt-1-long-live-rock.html.

      Please keep in touch.

      -Chris

      Delete