Monday, November 11, 2013

HOLIDAY FOOD DRIVE: Community, Connection and Compassion

HOLIDAY FOOD DRIVE: 
Community, Connection 
and Compassion
 _______________________________ 

Helping to feed
hungry folks in my
local community
has been a personal
passion for more
than 20 years. And
I'm proud to kick
off the 2013 holiday
season with a truly
worthwhile event.
_______________________________

I recall pulling up to the local food bank on the morning following my first canned food drive promotion in the early '90s. Although the back of my mini pickup truck contained several boxes of food, I had hoped to collect much more.

When I confessed  this disappointment to the woman who'd directed me to the building's rear loading dock, she motioned for me to follow her inside. As we entered  the barren stock room, she pointed to all of the empty shelves. "If it weren't for your kind donation," she humbly replied, "many families throughout the community would be going hungry tonight." I was so moved by the experience that I vowed from that day forward to remain committed to spearheading annual food drive efforts. And as my son was growing up, I was able to teach him the true meaning of the holiday season, as delivering much-needed goods to the local food bank became one of our personal Christmas traditions. But sadly, folks go hungry year 'round. 

I'll be joining forces with drummer Sam Hill and
his band Bullet Theory to help feed the hungry.
(Photo: Kevin Roberts)
So this year, I'll be kicking off the holidays a little early with a special food drive event on Saturday night, November 23rd at Siggy's in Palm Bay, Florida. I've been the resident DJ at Siggy's for 15 years, and the owner and management always have been extremely supportive of my personal mission.

The party revs up at 8PM. Attendees will experience a great night of live rock and roll from one of the area's hottest bands — the hard-driving Bullet Theory, as well as  groove to the thumpin' sounds of yours truly. Oh yeah, bring a canned food item (or two) and get in the running for some cool prizes.

THE DJ BOOTH AT SIGGY'S:
My home away from home.
(Photo: Michael O'Banion)
I personally will be delivering all donations collected through this awesome event to the food pantry at East Coast Christian Center in Merritt Island, Florida. Additional info regarding ECCC and its food pantry program can be found below.

Siggy's is located just off the intersection of I-95 and Malabar Road, behind Bank of America, in the Interchange Plaza (across the street from Publix). Admission is FREE and the party is open to everyone, ages 21 and up. Just come on out, enjoy the festivities and help make the holidays a little brighter for some great folks here in Brevard County.

-Christopher Long
(November 2013)
 
_________________________________________

ABOUT THE
FOOD PANTRY:

The food pantry exists to provide practical help to members of the local community. For the last several years, East Coast Christian Center has given away over 400,000 pounds of food annually to the poor, the homeless, and families who have found themselves unexpectedly in the midst of financial crisis. ECCC believes in showing the love of Jesus Christ by helping to meet basic needs of those who need it most.


Where is the food pantry located?

EAST COAST
CHRISTIAN CENTER 
(Inside the Community Care Center)

670 N. Courtenay / Merritt Island, FL 32953


 ________________________________
 


The latest from author Christopher Long
is available NOW on Amazon.

Also from Christopher Long...
Get it on Amazon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment