Monday, January 30, 2012

HERE COMES THE BRIDE: (Pt. VI)

Today's Theme:
THEME WEDDINGS
 
It’s amazing what I’ve seen
throughout 28 years of working
in the wedding business. The
 ceremonies and receptions to
which I’ve been connected
have all possessed a degree of
personalized charm. However,
some affairs have been a bit
more unique. In Florida, that
typically means variations of
casual outdoor beach-type 
themes. But I also have been 
involved with a few weddings
over the years that have
taken the theme concept
to a whole new dimension.
________________________________________________________________

I’ve mentioned previously, examples of these types of celebrations, such as the full-on Disney theme wedding in the ‘90s and the Star Wars theme wedding in the early 2000s. I recently DJ’d a 1950s theme reception, and this one was a lot fun. From the era-appropriate attire of the guests (poodle skirts with bobby socks and pompadours with black leather jackets) to the wall-to-wall decorations to the very specific playlist, I felt as if I was on the set of a taping of the TV show, Happy Days. It was well-planned, well-executed and most importantly, the dance floor was packed ALL night. In short, it was one of my all-time favorite gigs!

About ten years ago I was hired to DJ a medieval theme wedding and reception. At first, I wasn’t quite sure what that would entail. Initially, I thought that there would be theme-related decorations and that perhaps the wait staff would be appropriately attired. And that certainly was the case. However, I quickly discovered that the bride and groom took this particular theme very seriously. I noticed guests dressed as maidens and peasants arriving at the ceremony, which was held in a grand Catholic church with an Elizabethan feel. During the nuptials, the priest spoke as if he too were from the era, posing such questions as, “Doth thou Biff from the village of Fort Lauderdale taketh thy Lady Ashley of Palm Beach to be-est thou-est Princess,” or something to that effect, to which the groom replied, “Yes. I certainly do, my lord.” At the reception, knives, forks and spoons were non-existent. Guests all devoured the legs of various roasted animals with their bare hands. I don’t recall that a jousting took place, however, nearly every other detail was extremely theme-oriented. And the 100+ guests all seemed to have a marvelous time as they danced and partied the night away to the authentic medieval sounds of “The Macarena,” “Gettin’ Jiggy with It” and “Boot Scootin’ Boogie.”

Who doesn't love flappers?
Another such wedding I DJ’d occurred in 2005. It had a 1920s-style gangster theme. Women wore flapper-type out- fits and the men came dressed as gangsters  — with pinstriped suits, fedoras and all. A couple of guys even carried toy machine guns inside of violin cases. This one was truly a lot of fun. In fact, the bride and groom cautioned guests in the invitations that they had better RSVP, ASAP, or else they’d be, “swimming with the fishes!"

These types of theme parties can be fun. Hey, I’m no party pooper! But after all these years, I’ve experienced rela- tively few wedding gigs that weren’t positive, fun-filled events. And I en- courage readers to leave comments below and share their own theme wedding thoughts and experiences.
 
To be continued...

DROP ME A LINE
I'm very accessible and I'm happy to assist folks at any time regarding wedding-related questions, concerns and comments. I can be contacted through either the "Comment" forum of this blog or directly via my personal email address.
AuthorChristopherLong@yahoo.com

 
HERE COMES THE BRIDE INSTALLMENTS:
Pt. I   Pt. II   Pt. III   Pt. IV   Pt. V   Pt. VI   Pt. VII   Pt. VIII

 
 Author Christopher Long's latest book
is available NOW on Amazon.
 
Also from Christopher Long...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment