Tuesday, December 6, 2011

HERE COMES THE BRIDE: (Pt. III)

 
Devon's wedding in the
late '90s was a blast!
_______________________________
 
After nearly thirty
years working in the wedding industry, I seemingly have seen,
heard and experienced everything. Here's an interesting recollection, submitted for your approval...
_______________________________
 
 
As a wedding DJ, brides often offer me their personalized playlists — a dozen or more favorites that are sure to connect with bride, groom, family and friends. But on one occasion a bride offered me a complete list of every single song that she wanted played. This is rare, however, it has happened a few times throughout my career. But what made this bride's request "unique" was that not only did she select each song to be played, she also mapped out the specific order in which they were to be played. And I clearly was instructed not to deviate from "the list." I get a kick out of folks who hire me for various functions based on my experience and reputation, yet feel that they have a better grasp of the gig than I do. I tried to convey to this bride the importance of allowing me to "read" her guests and go with the flow as the party progressed, but she was having no part of that — SHE knew better. "Okay, it's your day," I assured her.
 
The cocktail hour music that she selected went over well — not that many guests are even paying attention at that time. The first dances with bride and groom, bride and dad, groom and mom, and the semi-obligatory bridal party dance were all textbook-like. The background dinner music that she selected was also solid stuff. However, when it came time to open the dance floor officially and really "get it on," her party quickly took a nosedive. In no time, disappointed guests actually began leaving the reception in droves as they discovered "the list" that I had conveniently placed on the DJ table. (Hey, my hands were tied and I wasn't about to take the heat personally or professionally for the bride's misguided choices.) There would be no popular line dances, no current hot hits and no high-energy classic jams played at this celebration, and I stood at my DJ station, helplessly watching as the crowd diminished from 400 to barely 100 within minutes.
 
The 2008 Ludwick wedding was epic!
 
"Please save my party!" the now desperate bride pleaded with me, as she clearly had experienced a "come to Jesus" moment. I quickly recounted with the bride the list of sure-fire reception winners that she so vehemently had objected to initially. "I don't care," she replied with a panic-stricken tone. "Just please save my party!"

Quickly, I went into reception "robo" mode ("Brick House," "Mony Mony," "Cupid Shuffle," etc.) and immediately the dance floor became a prized piece of standing room only real estate. I took that bride's party, spanked it like a naughty schoolgirl and rocked it through the roof. Not another single guest left the reception until its conclusion. In fact, the party wound up going into overtime.
 
I don't share this particular story in order to brag of my (obvious) awesome super-human powers. I merely am trying to convey to brides the importance of hiring professionals, and then trusting them to do the job for which they were hired. I'll likely expand on this mind-blowing concept in future posts.
 
To be continued...

DROP ME A LINE
I'm very accessible and I'm happy to assist folks at any time regarding wedding-related questions, concerns and comments. I can be contacted through either the "Comment" forum of this blog or directly via my personal email address.
AuthorChristopherLong@yahoo.com
 
 
Other Here Comes the Bride installments:

 
Author Christopher Long's latest book
is available NOW on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment