Tuesday, November 22, 2011

ICE! at The Gaylord Palms Resort - Orlando, FL (2011)

Molly and Casey in front of an enormous
Shrek sculpture - carved completely out of ice!
ICE!
The Gaylord Palms Resort
Orlando, FL

A couple of weeks ago, my girlfriend,
Michelle, asked me if I'd like to
accompany her and her two young
daughters to the upcoming annual 
 ICE! production in Orlando. 
Okay, to be honest, she really didn't 
invite me. In her "unique" way.
 Michelle informed me that I
was going. I learned very early on 
in our relationship that it is usually 
in my best interest to respond to
Michelle's various "invitations" 
with an immediate and at least
semi-heartfelt, "Yes, dear." Well, 
today was the day of the show.
____________________________________________________________________ 

I never before had been to The Gaylord Palms Resort. I soon discovered 
that it's quite a swanky joint and that it is the size of about 37 (large) shopping 
malls. But the staff was extremely friendly and quite helpful. As a result, upon
our arrival, we easily found our way to the event and in a timely fashion.

No, this isn't Mr. Bill.
I learned that this fellow's name is Gingy and he is somehow connected to
the Shrek story. As for his "friend," I believe her name is Cookie. I understand
that they met recently via the "Sweet-n-Single" Internet dating service.
(But I could be wrong.)

Simply put, the ICE! exhibit is akin to a wax museum, except the sculptures
(this year) are based on the Shrek the Halls story and they are all carved out of
 ice — lots and lots of ice! And in order to maintain the sculptures' icy perfection
throughout the event's six-week run, the temperature of the viewing area is kept
at a "balmy" 9°. Hence, complimentary parkas are loaned out to attendees.

This one gives a whole new meaning
to the term, "Pigs in a Blanket!"

This breathtakingly magnificent Nativity scene
also was carved completely out of ice!

In short, it was an awesome show and all three of us kids had a fantastic time!

-Christopher Long
(November 2011)


The latest from author Christopher Long
is available NOW on Amazon.

Also from Christopher Long...
Available on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment