Monday, September 26, 2011

HERMAN CAIN: "THE HERMANATOR"

Herman Cain
HERMAN CAIN:
The Hermanator
 
I've been an admitted political junkie since I was a 10-year-old kid collecting presidential trading cards while growing up in Springfield, Missouri during the early '70s. I follow the national and international political scene with the same passion that many Americans have for following the MLB, the NBA or NASCAR. In fact, despite my personal love of the NFL, I'll choose The Sean Hannity Show over Monday Night Football anytime. And as I've posted previously, I embrace the presidential primary season the way the retail world embraces the Christmas holiday shopping season.
 
Consequently, I receive frequent emails from friends which include links to various political-related sites and news stories. Earlier in the year I received one such email from a longtime business associate of mine, telling me about an interesting underdog candidate named Herman Cain who had recently entered the race for the Republican presidential nomination. Also occasionally referred to as "The Hermanator," Cain's background is based in the business world. His impressive track record includes achieving enormous success while working as a computer systems analyst for the Coca-Cola Company, Vice President of the Pillsbury Company and President and CEO of Godfather’s Pizza.

I found the whole "Hermanator" thing to be rather amusing and I began to pay close attention to the Atlanta, Georgia native. I was impressed by Cain's performances during the various recent televised Republican debates, but I doubted whether his candidacy would gain much momentum. I realize the "political outsider" factor has become quite appealing among voters as of late, but Cain perhaps seemed to be a little too far "outside" of the political arena to be considered a real contender.

That is, until this past weekend's Florida straw poll. Governor Rick Scott boldly stated prior to delegates casting their votes that the straw poll was so important, that the winner of the contest would likely become the party's nominee. And that made perfect sense on Saturday morning, when Texas Governor Rick Perry was the perceived front-runner. With underdog Cain's surprise upset on Saturday evening, Governor Scott was back peddling a bit in the press on Monday.

But why not Cain? His professional track record is impeccable. As many have pointed out in recent years, perhaps having sound business savvy is as vital a quality to running our country as having political experience. To me, it's his experience in business that makes Mitt Romney so appealing. And don't forget, Dwight Eisenhower had never held political office either prior to his presidency.

I want to be clear that I'm not suddenly jumping into bed with Cain now that he's become the new "flavor of the week." I've made no bones about being a staunch Michele Bachmann supporter. On many levels, I believe she's the best candidate for the gig. I'm just giddy with delight to see such a devastating blow dealt to the political establishment and the media which were all too ready to hand over the nomination to Perry — more than five months before the official primary season kick-off — which makes about as much sense as declaring a Super Bowl champion before the coin toss. More than ever before, our nation deserves as much time as necessary to thoroughly look at all of the candidates before calling this race too soon.

-Christopher Long
(September 2011)


The latest from author Christopher Long
is available NOW on Amazon.
 
Also from Christopher Long...
Available on Amazon.



No comments:

Post a Comment